BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Friday, July 2, 2010

Last week was amazing! It was one of the best experiences that I've ever had and was hands down the best week since I've been here in Hawaii.


A group of us went on a missions trip to Kauai at Lihue Baptist Church. This whole summer Lihue Baptist Church has been holding a summer camp for about 4 hours everyday and this camp is completely free. Each week they have a different theme. Some of the themes are Art, Games, Drama, and Music. We came for music week and taught them a musical (which they had to memorize). My job was to audition the kids who wanted to try out for solos/duets, select them, work with them, and then direct them for the program. I’ve never really worked with children when it comes to music before and this past week I found out that I love it!


One of the things that really stuck in my mind from this trip was watching the kids, close to a 100 of them, sing to God. There is something so amazing about seeing them, so full of heart and purity, while singing to God. They sing as if He’s real!

(click here to see the video http://www.facebook.com/video/video.php?v=1478056241776)


One of my biggest focuses in life is music. It’s in my blood. I think about it ALL the time. Seeing those kids sing made me wonder “How often do I sing like them? How often do I come to Christ as a little child and believe and sing as if He’s real?” I often find myself getting caught up in the minutia of music instead of Who it’s all supposed to be for in the first place. When I saw these kids singing, it just melted my heart and I couldn’t help but be moved to tears.


I think we all need to step back and examine our abilities and talents to see if what we are doing is really glorifying God or are we (like myself) getting caught up in the tiny details and forgetting the main goal. What are we worried about? Perfection? The people who are watching us? Or life in general?


Plain and simple, our focus needs to be where our focus needs to be.


Please pray for Kauai. I was told that about 6 out of every 10 teenage girls get pregnant and only 2-3% out of all the people on Kauai are Christians.

0 comments: